Bring your family

If you are planning a move to Sweden to work, you can also apply for residence permits for your family members at the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). If your family members are citizens of a Nordic country or are EU citizens, no residence permit is necessary.

Flicka och hund i skogen

Foto: Alexander Hall/

It’s easiest to apply for your family together with your own application online. If you are already in Sweden, your family can fill out an online application from their home country. If your work permit is valid for longer than six months, your family members can even apply for work permits. If you are self-employed, you must be able to show that you can support your family members. Read more about permits for a family member of a person who has a work permit at The Swedish Migration Agency.

If you are traveling with children, it is important to know that school attendance is compulsory in Sweden. All children attend primary school from around six years of age, and it is obligatory. Compulsory schooling applies to grades 1–9, that is for nine years.

It is not certain that your family members will be covered by insurance and can receive reimbursements and compensation from the same country as you. It is important therefore, that both children and adults in the family report when they move to or from Sweden, and that all adults in the family report if they begin working in another country. Contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) to find out what the rules are for you and your family.

Bring a pet

You can also bring pets with you to Sweden, but you must first ensure that you comply with all rules and regulations regarding the entry of animals.